Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thank you, President Obama

Equal rights for all Americans, including the right for Homosexuals to marry has been difficult for the nation to come to terms with. It's been a thorn in my side for many years. I remember when in college I wanted to migrate to Canada so I could enter into a marriage with whomever I wanted. Finally, President Barack Obama was first on yet another issue; the first American President to openly support gay marriage.

"I think same sex couples should be able to get married"
- President Barack Obama

Some of the article is copied here, as this was a rather historic day!


Updated 4:50 p.m. ET- President Barack Obama endorsed the right of same-sex couples to marry on Wednesday, a landmark pronouncement made in light of mounting pressure from gay rights advocates.

Obama became the first U.S. president to back the right of gay and lesbian couples to marry, a reversal from views expressed during the 2008 campaign, when he said he opposed same-sex marriage but favored civil unions as an alternative.

Obama told ABC News that, after reflection, he had "concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married."

In making his announcement, Obama completes what he had described as an “evolution” in his views on this issue, hastened by growing fervor this week involving gay rights. The growing pressure was capped Tuesday by North Carolina voters’ approval of a constitutional amendment banning not only same-sex marriages, but civil unions for gay and lesbian couples, as well. Obama’s shift not only speaks to a broad swath of the electorate, which has exhibited increasing acceptance of same-sex marriage in opinion polls, but also gay and lesbian voters who compose a core part of Obama’s base, and have been major fundraisers for his re-election.

Obama explained that he had hesitated in fully supporting same-sex marriage because he thought civil unions would be sufficient. "I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he told ABC.

Meanwhile; this happened earlier in the week: RELATED: North Carolina approves ban on same-sex marriage. Which is why this isn't a "States Rights" issue as some would proclaim. It's a HUMAN RIGHT which sadly has to be enforced at the Federal Level. Shame on you, states and citizens who would come in between others and their human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment