Saturday, December 21, 2013

11 Days of Christmas

This year I have 11 days in Boise for Christmas!  Whoot!  So very happy!!

Before I even got out of California I was already having an Idaho reunion, with my friend Shandra Jeffries!  She was on the same flight out of Oakland to Boise.  I grabbed us both a seat and we got to catch up on the flight home.  It was exciting hearing about her studies in San Francisco- she's studying to become a genetic therapist!  When we landed I got to meet her girlfriend and she got to meet my boyfriend, what a fun way to start the vacation!

For my time in Boise; first things FIRST!  Jake and I had to go watch Saving Mr. Banks- we have both been waiting in anticipation for this movie since we first heard about it.  I enjoyed it so very much, I might have to call it my favorite film of 2013.  It couldn't have hurt watching it at the village at meridian in the VIP seats- always a good time!  The next day Jake spent some time shoveling Chuck and Emily's driveway when we stopped by their house while they were out of town.  Christmas eve morning Jake surprised me with breakfast was the blueberry compote pancakes.  Delish!

Christmas Eve was perhaps the busiest one I've ever had!  I started the day off running 9 miles up the greenbelt, completing two separate Zombies Run missions.  Run one.  Run Two.  I hadn't kept up on my running miles as closely this year, so I was behind and trying to make up the mileage before the end of the year hit.

Unfortunately, earlier in the month (December 6th) a car ran the yellow blinking left turn light on Ustick and ran head first into Jake driving his Pontiac Vibe.  It was demolished.  Fortunately he was okay and he got the money to replace it and ended up purchasing a brand new 2014 Volkswagen Jetta!  It took us some time today to get things squared away, but very well worth the wait.
Once we had Jake's new car, it was time to get ready for the Farkle Family Christmas Eve!  Last year was our last year with our wonderful Santa who has been coming to our family Christmas Eve handing out presents since before I was even a twinkle in my parent's eyes.  Joe Posluszny has been there for our whole family year after year, and we could always count on him to bring us a special present if we were good and sat on his lap and affirmed we were good boys and girls all year.  It wasn't quite the same Farkle Family Christmas this year without him.  Speaking of Farkle Family traditions, this year our pinata was a Lego man.  His head was large enough for my aunt Carrie to joke around like she was a robotic Lego man!  Also, for the first time we had a white elephant gift exchange.  I was lucky enough to get the gift I brought (magnetic words with friends board) and Jake won an actual white elephant!  Bill, my Mom and Cassidy won some silly hats.
It's always sad to me when the evening wraps up, I love spending time with all my family.  That night Jake and I exchanged gifts and took our first Christmas picture together.  I really like it!
Christmas Day we spent in Twin Falls with Jake's parents and older brother, girlfriend and daughter.  It was nice to meet Jake's family and I taught them the Shanghai rummy game that we all play in my family.

Emily sent me a picture of her and Chuck at Abby's house in Denver, CO where they spent their Christmas this year.
The next day Jake and I met up with Damian, Clint, David, Song and Janice for lunch at the Yard House.  It was great that we all got to say hello while everyone was in town for the holidays.  Song and I finalized our plans to go skiing the next day with Cole and Peter.  Later that night was another Christmas back in Boise since Chuck and Emily were now in town!  They'd been in Denver to celebrate the holiday with her family so we are having a small Christmas on the 26th with the six of us (Chuck, Emily, Sam, Sandy, Ross & Jake).  First thing- I had to go for a run on the greenbelt with some icy consequences, and path closures!
We had so many great pictures; I can't even post them all here but here's just a couple of my favorite from our Christmas evening.
Monday the 30th Jake dropped me off at my parent's house so I could borrow their explorer and take Song, Peter and Cole up to Bogus for an afternoon and late night out skiing (it got postponed until today).  We took way too many pictures and even some videos- the shots we drank at the upper lodge were probably to blame.  It was a great and very memorable ski trip to Bogus Basin!

The rest of the week was filled with family time, playing cards and lots of running!  Still had to run 6 more times before the end of the year, but I DID make my goal!  5pm on New year's eve; 1,200 miles -DONE for 2013!  Phew.  That was exhausting!

New Year's eve Jake and I spent the evening with Chuck and Emily enjoying calorie replenishment (as if we'd been shorted the last few days!?) and then that night headed out to see the first Idaho Potato drop!  The crowd was very intense, but the actual lowering of the Potato seemed a little anti-climatic.  There were kisses to go around and then we headed home.  The next day was January 1st, and I'll have been in Idaho for 11 days.  The trip was over and time to go home.  It was absolutely wonderful and I'm so very lucky to have such amazing friends and family to spend the holiday with.

No comments:

Post a Comment