Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cozumel, Mexico Day 2

Today was one of my laziest days on the Island. I slept in until 1pm! Our first stop was at the Hacienda Casa Mission for lunch. It's a very large restaurant with a vast landscape of trees, flowering shrubs, fountains, walkways and caged birds.
The restaurant area was around the outside of the house, between the home and the gardens. Since it was raining sporadically; I was grateful the dining area was well covered.
Similar to the Italian restaurant, the owners live and work out of their home. Although this restaurant/home setup was a mansion compared to the Cucina Italiana. It was here that I first understood that there were different menu's for local residents. Erik and I got off on the cheap almost the entire trip because he got discounted prices for being a local. Lucky! Most meals were $20 for the both of us, including all drinks and tip. ^_^ I had the chille relleno and it was very good, definitely homemade. Erik had me try the Tamarindo water. It was like a sweet tea without the "tea" drying effect on the mouth or bitter. It was very sweet, almost as if sweetened by honey. On the way out, we walked along the garden areas and I took a picture of this toucan. It reminded me of the fruit loops comercials; I don't think I've ever seen one in real life before.
After lunch it was time for desert and coffee, right? We went to Erik's favorite hangout place in the downtown area called El Postre Cito. Which translates as "Small Pastry". It was a very cute shop that was well decorated with quotes in both Spanish and English around the walls. They made Coffee drinks to order and all the pastry's were made on site.
I had a carrot cake and cappuccino and Erik had a brownie with ice cream and latte. We relaxed there and chatted with Andrea who works there and is also a good friend of Erik's. We stayed for most of the afternoon waiting out the rain. It was also a great place to connect to the internet!

Then it was time for dinner; right? HAHA! I swear, all we did was eat this whole day! We went to an Argentinean restaurant called Del Sur (Parilla Argentina).
Erik recommended the empanadas and the waiter recommended the sangria- I just stuck with their recommendations. SOOOO glad I did. I've never had empanadas before. A M A Z I N G. They are like small calzones, but the outside is softer and flakier; like a pastry. You choose the inside.
I had so many different types, it's hard to remember. My favorite was the mozarella with jalapeno and pepperoni. There were two different dipping sauces (as was typical in most restaurants) one was mild and bland (in my opinion!) the other was extra spicy hot! I ate almost all of the extra hot one, seen in the smaller container with my empenadas. Then for desert, we had a dulce de leche and a banana and chocolate empanada and I had to roll outta the restaurant... Oh yeah, and the sangria; which Erik had none of... Ugh, if I'd known that when I ordered it! HAHA! I've no idea how I ate all those delicious empanadas AND drank the whole pitcher of sangria. I guess it was all just that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment