Wednesday, January 27, 2010

California!

Well I've been here for four days and I'm only just now taking a minute to blog. There's been so many things to blog about- the drive down with Chuck, moving into my new place, my hours and hours at the California DMV. But I'll start at the begining...

Friday (January 22, 2010)
I picked up the rental truck. I drove the massive beast with trailer in tow to my house. Backed it around the tiny cold-a-sac and unhooked the car trailer. Then backed it into my driveway. I frantically packed the last few items around the house with much help from Casey, Chuck and Javier (Thanks guys!). Then I slept my last night in my home on an air mattress.

Saturday (January 23)
Chuck and I got up really early. I finished tossing in the last few items into my car (Sheets and towels). Grabbed my stereo, gave goodbye hugs to Chelsie and Javier and we were off. The weather was bad so we headed through eastern Oregon instead of south through Nevada. We went through Burns, Redding and stopped for the night in Vacaville. The worst part of the driving was just inside the Northen California border after Adain's pass. It was snowy and slushy. But we did ok. Poor Chuck was so hot the whole trip, and I was freezing. I was wearing a coat and winter gloves and he was wearing track pants and a t-shirt. Here is a picture of Chuck trying to cool down:

Note there is SNOW outside and that on the inside I had the air on COLD. What is wrong with him!? Gesh, I wish I had that kind of metabolism. After 15 hours of driving we were getting rummy and we were glad to stop for the night about 11pm.

Sunday (January 24)
Chuck and I got up early again... 7am. We had a breakfast and headed out at 8:15 for Rohnert Park. We drove through Napa and then Sonoma Valley. It was beautiful. We got to my new house about 10:30 and unloaded the truck. Then we cleaned it out and took it up to Santa Rosa to return it. Then Chuck and I hopped in my car and off to Oakland to Melo's for lunch. It was an italian restaurant in Pleasant Hill that Chuck really liked. We also met up with a friend of mine named John. Later I dropped Chuck off at the airport and headed home.

Monday (January 25)
I unpacked things and settled in a bit in my new place. I went to the DMV and applied for my CA drivers license and took the drivers and motorcycle exams. This took about 3 or 4 hours. I was unfamiliar with some of the unique laws so needed to study up on the motorcycle exam. (like "When being pursued by the police and you choose to evade arrest and if someone is killed during said pursuit you are subject to 1) a fine of xxxx 2) 6 years in jail 3) not more than 1 year in jail) Sorry California, I'm not used to knowing the laws on being pursued and evading the police...

Tuesday (January 26)
I went back to the DMV and passed my motorcycle exam and got a temporary CA permit. Then I registered my car (both of which I needed to wait in lines for about an hour). Before my vehicle registration could be completed I had to 1) verify the mileage and 2) go get my car smog tested. I waited outside the DMV to get my car mileage verified. This took about an hour, meanwhile the car in front of me died so they had to push it out of the way... 0_o' Then I went to a smog tester where they rev'd my car for about 20 minutes and said I passed. Back to the DMV again, where yes, again I took a number and waited about another 45 minutes to give them my smog paperwork.

Wednesday (January 27)
I did not go to the DMV today, I could not stomach it. Instead I put my new plates on my car.

Then I went to SSU where Meryl helped get my Emplid established in PeopleSoft. I'm hoping tomorrow to get my parking permit and ID card (in opposite order...). I also need to get some new clothes for work and insurance on my car. I suppose I need to go back to the DMV once more to register my bike, but not sure I can do that before it arrives Friday as they have to verify the mileage. ugh.

I'm glad I have a week before work starts, how could anyone get all of this done in less time!? AHHHHH!!!!!

On a happy note, the weather today was gorgeous and I had to have my sunglasses on just to see. The rolling green mountains are very pretty and I'm very much looking forward to driving my motorcycle!!!

A few shout outs too- without Chuck I couldn't have done this and survived; thanks Bro. Without my parents I couldn't have left my bike in Boise, thanks Mom & Dad for getting it to the transport guys even though they were late! And thanks to Javier and Chelsie, I'm not worried at all about leaving my house in their hands. They're the best!

Miss you all very much~

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having quite the adventure already!! :) I already miss you! You haven't actually started yet...you could come back! Our DMV lines are MUCH shorter! ;)

    ReplyDelete