Saturday, June 15, 2013

Motorcycling to Mendocino

Today I grabbed a cliff bar, put on my motorcycle gear and found a place on the map about 100 miles away.  The city of Albion along the coast caught my eye.  I headed to Albion on my motorcycle in my winter gear (the sturdy leather jacket and full gloves, wearing jeans) as I know that rides along the coast can be cold.  Even though in Santa Rosa it was in the mid-80's and getting hotter.  When I drove through Cloverdale it was approaching the 90's.  Once I got over the mountain it dropped to the 50's and it felt like the 30's!  It was so cold!
I stopped at a mercantile in Albion and realized there was really nothing there so got back on my motorcycle and headed up highway 1 a bit further to Mendocino.  I stopped at a little organic coffee shop in Mendocino but unfortunately I wasn't feeling too good.  I think driving for an hour on an empty stomach, going from almost 90's to freezing and then coffee wasn't that great for me.
On my way out of town I went to get gas and was shocked at the price, $6.26 for regular!  People pulled up saw it and then pulled away.  I got a gallon's worth then headed back towards home.
While I was driving back I felt something prick me behind my ear.  I swatted back behind my ear while driving along and then I felt a sharp pain!  I pulled over as quickly as I could and took off my helmet trying to figure out what was hurting me behind my ear.  I could only barely feel something there but couldn't see anything, so I took pictures with my cell phone to try and see what it was.  Still couldn't really see much and I was worried it was a bee sting.  Now, I've never been stung by a bee before and I'm in the middle of no-where worried I could be allergic with no one around to help me out.
I jumped back on my bike and headed for Kaiser in Santa Rosa as fast as I could safely drive, whichhhhh is pretty fast.  I picked up another motorcyclist when I finally reached the 101 headed south and he probably just thought we were having fun flying down the freeway.  Long story short, the personnel at Kaiser identified it was a bee sting and I'd be okay.  By now I was feeling awful and terribly starved.  I headed home after my adventure and had a big meal and a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment