Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sun Valley Vacation

Today I drove up to Sun Valley to spend the night at the Sun Valley Lodge and go skiing with my cousins! I drove up in my Dad's explorer with Casey and Kari following in their car. It's a longer drive than I remember, closer to 3 hours than 2. We grabbed lunch in downtown Sun Valley and then checked into the lodge. The rooms were very nice- and I had mine all to myself with clothes strewn about everywhere!

Kali and Andy had been enjoying the hot tub and joined us afterwards up in Casey and Kari's room for drinks. Chuck and Emily had given me a 44 north huckleberry vodka for Christmas which we drank with some seven up and cranberry juice. We had an absolute blast catching up and talking about all sorts of things; it was lovely! We had dinner plans at the pioneer saloon downtown Sun Valley- so we took a car as none of us were in shape to drive. Oh, except Kari who is with child, so I guess she could have driven, but we took a car anyway.
We bought several drinks at the bar and then had a delicious dinner; I had the scallops seafood plate- YUM! Then we had some of the wine Casey brought... oh man was I enjoying my night! HaHa! After dinner we took the car back to the hotel and headed to bed; couldn't stay up too late as skiing was the next morning!
The mountain was absolutely gorgeous! What a splendid day up on the mountain! I absolutely LOVE skiing this place! Casey, Kali, Andy and me met in the lobby with our ski's and gear. We took the shuttle to the mountain, grabbed our ski passes and hit the lifts. Up, up, up- this is the largest mountain I've ever skied. Kali and Andy showed us around with Andy tending to lead us down the hill and Kali keeping an eye on Casey. It did get rough for me though; I was fighting a cold (Sinus pressure) and was a bit hungover from the drinks the night before (nausea) and then of course was getting motion sickness (queasy). What a fun combination- NOT! I drank some water and had lunch, then found some dramamine pills in my jacket and took a sudafed. That afternoon I was feeling much better!

Sun Valley added a gondola since the last time I was here, so it was really exciting to take that up the mountain. Talk about NICE! It was very comfortable and fun to be able to talk to Casey, Kali and Andy all at once. Plus, of course there was a great view of the valley below.
One of the last runs of the day I remembered that my RunKeeper program also tracks downhill skiing. So I pulled out my phone and turned on runkeeper for this 2.5 mile downhill ski run. Andy and I went as fast as we could, we made great time! The mountain closes up at 4 and it was time to head back to the lodge. I packed up the rest of my stuff and said my good-byes to Kali, Andy, Casey and Kari as they were soaking in the hot tub! It was a wonderful trip and so glad and lucky to have had the time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment